ESPNIC Campaign for the Year of the Nurse and Midwife
2020 has been designated by the World Health Organization (WHO) the year of the nurse and midwife for the first time. According to the WHO Director General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus “these two health professions are invaluable to the health of people everywhere”. He noted that 2020 will be dedicated to highlighting the significant contributions of nurses and midwives, and to ensuring that the shortage of these vital professions are addressed.
On April 7th 2020 the WHO will launch the fist State of the World’s Nursing Report, to describe the nursing workforce around the world, including number and types of nurses, education, regulation, leadership and gender issues, highlighting areas for policy development.
This year is also the 200th birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale, the pioneer of modern nursing and a true leader who still inspires us today. For ESPNIC, it is also an opportunity to recognize past and present leaders and showcase the contributions of nurses to the health of critically ill neonates and children in Europe.
- Communicating via different medias the contribution of paediatric and neonatal intensive care nurses, including ESPNIC website, conferences, editorials and short articles in scientific journals, testimonials of parents, PICU survivors, and healthcare professionals
- Showcasing the significant contribution of nurses to the health of critically ill neonates or children and their family throughout Europe, through short videos that will be collected through a video award open to all healthcare professionals to be posted on the ESPNIC website
- Delivering PICU standards for nursing education in Europe, to support nurses in standardizing competencies and advancing quality of care in European PICUs
- Developing an ESPNIC Online Nursing Course, which will include a series of presentations around key topics to be launched at EAPS 2020 in Barcelona
- Demonstrating ESPNIC nursing leadership and increasing opportunities for nurses to join the ESPNIC community through discounted Unit memberships
We invite all ESPNIC members to get involved, participate and promote these planned activities and support our endeavours in placing a spotlight on the role, influence and impact nurses have within the field of paediatric and neonatal intensive care.